CLICK HERE :View Indiana House Democrats' 2024 Economic Freedom Agenda.

State Rep. Matt Pierce

State Representative Matt Pierce serves as the Assistant Democratic Floor Leader and is the ranking minority member of the Indiana House Utilities, Energy and Telecommunications Committee. He also serves on the Courts and Criminal Code, Rules and Legislative Procedures committees, and the Statutory Committee on Ethics.

Pierce received a bachelor’s in telecommunications and political science from Indiana University in 1984. In 1987, he graduated from the Indiana University School of Law at Bloomington. He has been admitted to practice law in Indiana, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia.

Pierce was an intern for the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Telecommunications, Consumer Protection and Finance, and served as a legal clerk for the National Association of Broadcasters.

From 1999 through 2001, Pierce served as chief of staff for former Congressman Baron Hill (9th District–Indiana).

He served as the principal clerk of the Indiana House of Representatives from 1996 to 1998. He began working for the Indiana General Assembly in 1988 and has held the positions of legislative assistant, research and policy analyst, and attorney.

Pierce first became involved in local government as a consumer watchdog on the Bloomington Telecommunications Council. In 1995, he was elected to represent Bloomington’s Third District on the City Council.

Pierce was first elected to the Indiana House of Representatives in 2002.

Legislative Achievements

Rep. Matt Pierce co-authored legislation reforming the state’s criminal code and has been an advocate for consumers. He has also proposed legislation to protect wilderness areas in Indiana’s State Forests from logging.

  • Sagamore of the Wabash awarded by Governor Frank O'Bannon
  • Legislative Hero; Heart and Stroke Committee and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Contact Rep. Matt Pierce

If you require assistance from Rep. Matt Pierce, please utilize the form below. Alternatively, you can call or write a letter by using the information below.