A message from State Rep. Dr. Vernon G. Smith
The Indiana General Assembly has adjourned for the year, and I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and comments over the past few months. There were hits and misses along the way, with areas where I believe we really helped local residents and other areas where more work needs to be done.
Below is a brief recap of the legislature’s work this year.
- A new state budget provides less funding than I had hoped for local K-12 schools.
- A group of bills will result in safer schools and a better learning environment for students.
- A budget amendment guarantees Hoosiers with pre-existing medical conditions coverage by health insurance plans.
- Gary’s two casinos can now operate under one gaming license and move to an inland location.
- The first steps are in place toward an eventual goal of fair and lower prescription drug prices.
Dr. Vernon G. Smith
State Representative House District 14