Madison County students among Next Generation Educator Scholarship winners
For immediate release:
May 15, 2017
INDIANAPOLIS – Five Madison County residents are among 200 students from across Indiana who have received Next Generation Hoosier Educator Scholarships for 2017-18, according to State Rep. Terri J. Austin (D-Anderson).
The program is designed to encourage students who are interested in pursuing a career in teaching to stay in Indiana once they enter the profession. The scholarship pays up to $7,500 each year (up to $30,000 total) for students who commit to teaching in Indiana for five years after graduation.
The Madison County students are:
- Madelynn Baker, Frankton Junior-Senior High School, attending Indiana State University.
- Hannah Chinn, Lapel Senior High School, attending Ball State University.
- Kaitlynn Ketring, Pendleton Heights High School, attending Indiana University.
- Olivia Landes, Anderson High School, attending Ball State University.
- Michael Stottlemyer, Anderson Preparatory Academy, attending Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.
“When we talk about solving the so-called ‘brain drain’ in Indiana, this is where the work starts,” Austin said.
“We need to find young people who have chosen the selfless profession of teaching others and encourage them to ply their wares right here in Indiana. The five young people from Madison County want to devote their lives to helping others, and I think it is tremendous that we have an opportunity to give them a boost along the way. I shall look forward to following these young people as they pursue their dreams.”
To qualify for the scholarship, students either had to graduate in the top 20 percent of their high school class or earn a score in the top 20th percentile on the SAT or ACT. To continue earning the scholarship in college, students must earn at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and complete at least 30 credit hours per year.
According to the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, nearly 650 students applied for the 2017-18 scholarship.