For immediate release:
May 29, 2013
INDIANAPOLIS - State Rep. Clyde Kersey (D-Terre Haute) announced today that funding has been secured to allow Indiana State University to proceed with demolition of Statesman Towers.
Kersey said members of the State Budget Committee approved $4 million for the project during the group’s monthly business meeting today in Indianapolis. The project will be funded through a combination of university facilities and residence hall reserves.
“Since the late 1960s, the Towers have been a part of the Indiana State campus, but the facility has been vacant for several months now,” Kersey said. “Proceeding with this plan will enable the university to plan for the future and better determine how to effectively use the space that they have on campus.”
The two 15-story structures were originally built as residence halls, but were converted to academic classrooms for the colleges of education and business. The Bayh College of Education relocated to University Hall in 2009 and the Scott College of Business moved into Federal Hall last year.
“This is not one of those things where someone simply presses a plunger and blows the thing to smithereens,” Kersey noted. “There will have to be some work done to prepare to bring the towers down, including removing asbestos, salvaging materials and furniture, and relocating utilities.
“The funding approved today will enable the university to work with a contractor to determine the safest way to accomplish all this, and help decide whether to implode the buildings or tear them down by wrecking ball,” he continued. “It will take a few months to plan all this, so the actual demolition probably is still several months away.
“But I am pleased that the state has approved this contract,” Kersey said. “The project is critical for planning the growth of Indiana State’s campus and preparing for serving the needs of students for years to come.”